New urban plantings bring food, beauty, and educational activities to downtown Iowa City! Backyard Abundance, New Pioneer, and University of Iowa gardeners have created oases of greenery to inspire new uses of public and private lawn space.
Each destination on this walking/biking tour features different types of edibles ranging from corn to aronia berries and everything in between. The tour can be walked in 1-2 hours. Refreshments, tour guides, and informational handouts will be available at each site.
Landscapes on the tour can be visited in any order.
- New Pi’s Soilmates’ Children’s Educational Vegetable Garden at IC Public Library: 123 S. Linn St.
- Recreation Center Children’s Discovery Garden: 220 S. Gilbert St.
- Chauncey Swan Park Edible Landscape: 460 E. Washington St.
- New Pioneer Iowa City store Administration Building Edible Landscape and Alley Orchard: 523 Iowa Ave.
- University of Iowa North Hall Vegetable Garden: 398 N Madison St.
View a map of the destinations
This tour is helping launch Abundant Safari, Iowa City’s new self-guided adventure through environmentally abundant landscapes. Backyard Abundance created the program and helped design and implement three of the destinations on the tour. Journals will be available so you can start collecting your rubbings. More information can be found on the website: http://AbundantSafari.com.
Field to Family
The event is also part of the larger Field to Family Festival. View all their events.