Meet neighbors who have consciously designed their landscape to benefit themselves and our environment. Yard tours allow you to immerse yourself in resilient landscapes and meet like-minded people.
These free tours typically last 2 hours and are open to everyone.
- Get ideas for your landscape
- Chat with others at all levels of gardening experience
- Learn about the possibilities for improving environmental health
- Take home informational publications
- Enjoy yummy snacks and good company
Features often seen:
- Vegetable and herb gardens
- Fruit and nut-bearing trees and shrubs
- Native prairie gardens
- Butterfly gardens
- Bird-attracting shrubs and trees
- Composting systems
- Rain gardens and rain barrels
- Turfgrass alternatives
Visit the Abundant Landscapes area to view pictures of these landscapes. In this area, you can post pictures and tell the story of your abundant landscape
We strive to keep all tours free. This is accomplished through:
Hosting a Tour
We are always looking for pioneering residents who have made small to large ecological improvements in their yards. If you would you like to inspire others with your ideas and resourcefulness, we strive to make it easy to share your yard with the community. Contact us if you are interested in hosting a tour and we will schedule a time for a visit.
A date and time will be set that is convenient for you. With your direction, we will take pictures of the environmentally-friendly features in your yard for the website and pamphlets.
Our goal is to make the event as easy for you as possible. Below is a description of how things went at past events. All or some of these procedures can be replicated for your event—just let us know how you would like your event to be tailored.
- We provide cups and napkins along with cold lemonade and water in large coolers.
- You provide whatever snacks you like; e.g., cookies, veggies, crackers, etc. At past events New Pioneer Food Co-Op has provided gift cards for event hosts to help with the cost of refreshments.
- We arrive about an hour before the start of the event to help set up.
- We provide a name badge for you so folks with questions can easily find you.
- A Backyard Abundance yard sign is placed in the front yard to help folks find your home.
- Informational yard signs are placed in front of environmentally friendly features describing their function.
- A table with a sign-in sheet and information related to the event is set up in the front yard.
- We greet folks, give them a quick description of the event, and point them to your yard.
- Master Gardeners and/or other knowledgeable individuals may be available to help answer questions.
Contact us about hosting a tour.